West of the Town

Sunday 20 May 2012

Café Gourmand

I have just learned that "café Gourmand" means literally "greedy coffee". And now I have to confess it is one of June and my favourite choices at the end of a meal. I am so glad we usually chose it as an alternative to the desert and not in addition!
Café with all the trimmings!
You can select this option at most eating places these days. We have had the standard café, as seen here, (small, black, and very strong), but also we have achieved 'café au lait' and 'chocolate chaude' versions just by asking!
Some come with more bits than others. And the bits themselves are very varied; but it is always interesting to see what arrives and there is usually a creme brulée in there somewhere.
And yet it was with a little surprise that we found a café gourmand version in a motorway cafe. I took a closer look and there, perhaps for the English since this establishment had most things translated, there was an explanation of just what it was. It said "coffee with mini-twix". Well that's the spirit of the thing anyway! I almost wish I had ordered one to take a photo for you, but I could not bring myself to do it.
So now we are home.
And the garden has produced our first rose. Not that I can take any credit, it was June who fed it and pruned it to get the best out of the old bush. The best I can boast is to have carried the heavy compost home.
But I can at least take a photo for you and here it is.
Our first rose. 
And next day a little more open

And it's over all too soon

No comments:

Post a Comment