West of the Town

Thursday 18 July 2013

Eating out

Muddle of Pasta
My experience with Spanish food is not great. But it has been boosted this week by the little restaurant round the corner from where I am working. Recommended as "normally serving good food" I trotted along the first day with some expectation.

Hamburgers and Chips
The short list outside in Spanish told me there was a choice, but little else. Inside, there were tables but little activity. But I was seen and invited to sit. The waitress arrived with a pad and an expectant look. Clearly I should have already chosen, so the menu from outside was helpfully brought in. But it did not help! I chose at random!

It was ok. I had managed to ensure I avoided fish just in case I still proved alergic, but for preference I would have also avoided mushrooms in oil. The next course was chicken. I also remember having melon and ending with coffee. There was a coke too.

Since I did not have a lot of cash, I began to wonder of they took cards. By the look of the place I could not be sure. But the guessing was over when I retrned from the toilet (an experience I repeated only once when desperate). The bill was already there. €9. À nice round figure.

frozen
The next day I went armed with a 'dictionnaire' from the internet. With this aid I decided one of the starters was cheese and one of the main courses was "muddle of drunkenness". I didn't have the courage to order it!

But I did order the cheese. It turned up as a fried egg in a tomato and veg sauce.

In the next two days some of the "pot luck" has gone out of my choices. So here was today's selection for £7.76


  • "Muddle of pasta"
  • "Hamburgers and chips"
  • "Frozen" 

The first time I chose 'frozen' I got a lolly, this time a cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment