West of the Town

Thursday 25 July 2013

Tapas

Thursday afternoon and 2 heads pop round the office door and ask if I would like to join them "for a few beers" in the town later. I cautiously agree knowing that I have to pack and depart the next day. I plan an early departure in my head. 

So at the appointed hour one of the heads calls for me at my hotel. We walk down the road to join 2 others and make our way to the main street.  Later the last of our party arrives, it appears our destination is well known. 

Green fruits - that I just happened to snap growing on a tree.
What is it? answers on an email to me. Ta. (It's not olives)
Now in England, a few beers could involve a few pubs too. But this is Spain. "They have beer without food in England? How do they do that?" I am asked. So here, seated outside a restaurant, the beers turn up with snacks. It's "Tapas" I am told, but no one knows the English for what exactly the Green fruits are, and the taste is no help either. 

More beers later (I skipped one round) and more food arrived. This time on a large plate and we have a fork each. Pork in almond sauce. And very nice too. 

And so the evening passed very quickly. One can't leave until the end because only then is the bill presented. I realise that I have spent a happy 2 or 3 hours with out noticing the time or having any idea of the cost. €13 as it turned out. 

So there is a Spanish pub crawl. Very relaxed, outside in the cool of the evening, and supper thrown in too. I am grateful for the invitation. Without Spanish friends I could never have experienced this sort of evening out. But I highly recommend it, if you get the chance. 

Cordialement 
Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment