West of the Town

Saturday 29 March 2014

Massicois

It is good for a person to keep fit. Even the Bible says "bodily exercise profits a little" so I thought I had better take note.

When you take stock of my life, the exercise I get consists of walking. Monday to Friday I do walk for about an hour a day, in 4 bits. 10 min 20 min 20 min 10 min. But I am not sure this is enough!

So I spotted a 'piscine' (swimming pool) from the bus and I called in one evening to see when I could swim after work. The answer was "only Tuesday". There was a discount for locals, which I was not, but it put me in mind for a more local venue.

I researched the leaflets and a little booklet that came unsolicited through my letter box. There was a map and information about 'sports' in which was my local piscine. I visited. It is about a 20 minute walk and to my surprise I found it easily (my sense of direction is not great). There was a discount for locals. Here in Massy we are called "Massicois".

Open late on Friday. I bought some trunks. There is a discount for us Massicois but you need to prove it. My bill was rather old but did not trouble the man at the desk. He grinned when I tried to remember "Massicois" and said it for me. "First time?" he asked, and so he pointed me passed the children ("don't worry, they are leaving") and explained the rules. Shoes off in there. Use the door for men. Shower before swimming.

I pushed open the men's door, shoes in hand, and shut it again quickly. I checked the door. Yes this was the men's, but I had seen a woman just inside. Well, this is France, so I opened the door again and marched in confidently. The woman was dealing with a child and I heard her say "well I wouldn't have to but it takes you 3 hours to get changed". Men's changing is mostly communal, but for her sake I selected the only cubical.

My local pool is small and rectangular with 2 lanes of the 4 possible for swimming lessons. The rest of us swim up and down the other half. The lifeguard was eating his lunch and the pool filled a lot by half past the hour. I remember swimming being easier than this, I took lots of breaks!

After many lengths I squeezed passed the people near the steps and showered before changing to go home. The only cubical was busy now but the woman had gone and maleness was resumed. I will get a good night's sleep tonight I thought, but no, I had pulled my left shoulder so I tossed and turned more than I would like.

Still the shoulder is ok now and the next swimming night looks like being Tuesday. If I take it easy I will soon be fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment