West of the Town

Friday 18 April 2014

Le French Bash

Good Friday, and at last I can go home. Most of my French colleagues are still working so I wish them a "bonne Paques" (happy Easter) and my boss clarified the pronunciation of 'Easter'.

So I explained that in England we don't work on Good Friday, and he reminded me that Monday is a holiday here. "Yes, and in England too", I explained, "we have both days". "Oh, the English have lots of holidays", was the reply, "far more than France". I wasn't sure, but on uncertain ground I did not object. This dig at the English was unusual. "So much for the French bashing", he added.

Now I had spotted this. It appears that a popular English newspaper had reported that when the French clock off at 6pm, they really mean it; they stop. This had been countered by a survey in France showing this to be generally untrue, and certainly my experience in Paris does not support the allegation.

So I sympathised with his complaint, and since I was the 2nd to depart, felt I had rather lost this one. I glad it was all said with a considerable sense of humour.

Happy with their victory over the Englishman, they all wished me a joyful long weekend. I'm sure it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment