West of the Town

Thursday 3 February 2011

A Time to Buy

At last we have a verifiable plan for the back window at our cottage. Two artisans who are still to quote looked at making us a special window (French doors) for the narrow opening in the back wall. But frustrated with waiting we spoke to a friend and builder who came to look and suggested a standard window and widening the opening.
Our part in this was to buy the parts and this we have now done. First we ordered the oak beams for the wider sill above the new (wider) window, then we bought the door.
Soly helped us with the door which was exceedingly heavy. There was much discussion about how to hold it in the trailer. We tried it all ways but ended up with it vertical as first proposed, thin-edge to the wind in the direction of travel. Despite all sorts of concerns including the trailer tipping over, we arrived safely and unloaded the beast.
The next day the beams were collected. This was from a nearby sawmill where the bureau was an impressive looking house down the road. I had found this the previous day only by asking where it was. "La maison avec deux marches" I was told, it had 2 steps up to the door. Today I went straight there. A small dog attacked me as I entered before it was shooed away by the femme de caisse using a small cane and the words "allez oop". Very circus like except that the small dog largely ignored her.
Once paid I headed up for the wood. 3 identical beams. I found them outside the factory and looked for someone to assist me, or at least approve my taking it! Since there was no-one, I started to load the trailer. They were heavy! so I walked them on-end to the edge and tipped them in. As I was tipping the second one, a passing fork-lift driver stopped to assist me. Together we loaded the third one. I thanked him and he departed. No-one checked me taking them; you require honesty to live here!
Back at the cottage, the beams slipped off onto a wheelbarrow reasonably easily, so everything is now ready for the new rear door. All we need now is some warmish, dryish days to do the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment