West of the Town

Saturday 15 February 2014

Gestures

Perhaps it was the early start; but I fell asleep this afternoon. I woke up again at 10pm, the preferred time for the Spanish to eat. So I popped down to the hotel restaurant.

The big hall that I have walked through only once has people in it dining. It resembles a private party and the glass doors are shut so I pass on to the usual dining room. It's empty.

In the bar there are 2 people. I can see the proprietress in the kitchen. The 2 at the bar call her by name.

It appears that today there is a special menu. It has hearts all over it and I realise the other diners are (1 day late) Valentine couples. I stay in the bar.

The special menu appears to have 4 main courses. I chose one but my hostess offers me all 4. I can't face that and agree to the last 2 which appears to start with coronation chicken- or at least that's my guess. The proprietress asked after Evangeline. At breakfast time she is usually on my screen since it is her lunch time and it's our chance to chat. I explain it is 5am for her and I think I made myself understood!

The "coronation chicken" arrives as cream of chicken soup. Unexpected but quite acceptable. The 2nd course is more like I expected (photo) and I have a glass of the house wine- literally, it has the hotel logo on it and I am told "we brewed it" (ok I am guessing the Spanish again).

Communication is by speaking and gestures. The speech indicates a statement or question by the tone, and the gestures tell the subject. That's how I can tell the couple on the game show on TV have just got engaged. The audience is clapping and cheering and he is on one knee.

In the same way I think I ordered cream caramel for desert. What arrives is a sort of gateau and a bottle of Cointreau. The waiter (just for today) indicates I pour the Cointreau over the dessert. The proprietress confirms this, I understand "si". Perhaps that's why I was offered this liqueur the other month but with no glass I failed to make use of it.

It's after 11 now, and my black coffee has arrived. I wonder if I will be able to sleep tonight. Still it is Sunday tomorrow and I can get up when I want.

I expect it would be foolish to be early for breakfast.

Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment