West of the Town

Saturday 22 February 2014

Rock Castle, Martos


This week I worked out that I had worked 6 days in the 5 I have been here, if you go by the hours that is. So it is not a big surprise that I was late up this morning. The hotel proprietor commented on it! 

It is a sunny day with little wind. But it is late to set off for Granada, so I relax over breakfast and wonder what I should do instead. 

Behind Martos there is a hill. And on top of the hill there is evidence of an old castle. From the town it looks like a single tower, but work colleagues assure me there is much more than that. 

On earlier visits I had found a road that appears to be the closest point to the top and I know that it is not on my gps. But there are signs and I find it easily. 

At the parking place there is a notice. I understand "prohibito" and "300 euros" but not the words in between. A quick check on my dictionary and I find I can park but not dump the car. 

So I set off. I have packed my rucksack with food and warm clothing but my jacket is soon off because it is a lovely sunny day. 

First there are horses. I make sure I tread carefully. Then as I go up there is a path made by adding concrete to the rocks. I must be on the right track! 

Further up 2 cyclists are coming down. The first is riding the the second daren't. By the time I have my camera out and after 6 attempts to "swipe" the camera app into action, the cyclists have gone. 

But the views are expansive. 

More path, and I realise I have meandered up the steep hill some 2 or 3 times as far as I saw the direct path would be. But it is not too long before I am up among the ruins. 

The view of Martos town is impressive. Look for the bullring and the hotel is next door. Where I work is on the left, a big manufacturing centre on the edge of the industrial estate. 

The ruins of the castle walls are scattered round the hilltop. Much has crumbled but what remains is solid enough. There is evidence of underground chambers but all filled in with earth and rubble now. Just the top of an arch gives the evidence of a more extensive building. 

This surely must have been an unassailable castle. But then who would need to? I decide it is a magnificent lookout!

The window, or is it just an oval hole? is enticing and a short scramble up gives an impressive view. In fact, all around there are views of countryside and very few towns. The main road winds round Martos and remote factories belch smoke, a surprising number of them. But now I am stopped for lunch before I get the rest of my daily exercise by walking down again. 

After a lazy lunch, and tour of the battlements (what's left of them), and a telephone call from Evangeline to say her internet was down, I followed the longer path down. I found I had short cut the first bit by scrambling up directly from where I parked the car. Even the long way down was much quicker than going up. 

The sunroof on the little car now came into use again. The thermometer registered an initial 27 degrees, but that soon dropped to 23 in town, and 16 in the shade by the hotel. So take your pick, either way it's good for February.

From the top I had seen what looked like a market. It was close to the hotel so I wandered down on my return. I had been so concerned to have enough shirts for work that I had forgotten weekend shirts. I found what I wanted at much less than the shop prices and, I think, better quality too. 

All in all a successful morning. Clearly it is good to start in the high place. 

Photos
Path half way up. 
Panoramas 
- Martos town from the top
- countryside view & a shadow of myself
Flowers were plentiful
Bonfires and factories were plentiful too
An oval window, door, or fallen wall?
The castle from the market


Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone














1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to get to the top of this for years. You have inspired me to do it this next visit in September :)

    ReplyDelete