West of the Town

Thursday 27 February 2014

Ski Sunday Afternoon

I should have told you about the skiing. In the event I was up late Sat & Sun but on Sunday I decided to go just for the afternoon.

On the way back down
This should be a view of the village below.
I thought I would get in on the shot. Just as well I did.

Lower slopes & lowering sun
At the top, by the "radio telescope" lift.
Some people like to take off.
Here they could do it without having to know how to land.
Click on the photos for a larger view.

It was a lovely sunny day, one of the few I was told afterwards. Which may be why all of Spain went skiing that weekend. On the upper slopes this posed no problem, but to get there you had to park and that was full.

The police helpfully stopped anyone driving into the village. They sent us on a detour that I assumed was to an overflow car park. It was getting further and further away so I assumed also there would be a bus to the village. The road turned sharp right, headed through the snowfields, and ended up at the top of the village.

The village is narrow and a one-way system steers you down to the village exit. I think a lot of people just drove on and went home.

But I found a place in the upper square for my little car, and after checking for restrictions and finding none, I went skiing.

The lower slopes were packed but the upper slopes were open and no queues for the lifts. I stayed high. The views were spectacular- far better than the photos show. At times the wind was cold as this is the highest mountain in sight, and I was on the top. Despite the lovely sunshine, I needed my warm clothing, and for a time, my goggles. (And my fingers froze as I took photos, but the views were too good not to try)

I suppose this blog is just a chance to share the photos and I will leave it at that. A few of you will know of the parking ticket I picked up, and the difficulty I had paying it! But I guess it was that or to continue driving home like everyone else!

Enjoy the photos as I enjoyed the views.

A ps:
Because I forgot to tell you of the journey home, or at least the start of it. Those who had managed to ski all wanted to go home at the same time. There is only 1 long winding road down and it took ages. Not too bad after the first few km, after all there are almost no junctions, just a continuous line of traffic in free-fall.

Here is a photo I took whilst standing still.




Cordialement
Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment