West of the Town

Saturday 22 November 2014

A Castle on the Hill

Saturday, and a chance to visit somewhere. 
Somewhere different. 
But Séville was a long way so I recalled a castle I had seen on the 'alternative' route to Grenada. 

I guessed where it might be on the map and got it wrong, but quite by chance, when I was leaving the small hilly town with tiny streets that my gps thought I could drive down, I found the sought after castle after it came in view. 

After a drive down country roads, I arrived at a fairly substantial town. I parked just after passing a pleasant town center and returned to seek a toilet. There were lots of elderly people around, I felt sure there would be one. There was. I tried the door to find it was locked, but the large building it was attached to proved to be a library with access from the inside. 

So it was that I was able to climb the steep roads to the castle in relative comfort. The photos are from the top. The castle is being hugely restored and you can't get in. There are loads of ruined houses below the walls, and a notice proclaims the restoration progress. You can see some of the view from the new road that skirts the ruins. It's rather industrial in places. 

So where is it? I don't know, I told you I guessed wrong and found it by chance! 

For fun I choose the country road back which made 10km of windy road feel like 30km. But I was not in a hurry and it was much more fun. The car was quite incapable of driving itself down such roads. 

It had to rely on me. 

Terence Westoby

terrywestoby@gmail.com
+33 6 75 91 87 71

Sent from Samsung tablet

No comments:

Post a Comment