West of the Town

Wednesday 19 November 2014

New things

Every time I come our to Spain, I have a new car to drive. Whilst arriving at the hotel now feels like coming home! the car experience is something to be learned every time.

This time the lady at the desk tried hard to ensure I had cruise control. I find this essential for traveling on the long empty routes through the middle of the country. She succeeded.

Indeed this car has almost everything except it is not convertible. There is a large touch-screen in the middle that does the air-conditioning. This then doubles as part of the cruise control, but I found that out only much later.

As usual with a new car, it takes time to find out how it all works. I got in all right but could not access a key. Still, since there was no ignition, all I had to do was leave the key on the passenger seat.

Now I had seen plans for this. The car detects the key and whether it is in or out of the car. In the car, you can start it (if you work out that you have to press the clutch at the same to was the start button). If out of the car you can open the locked car by pulling on the door handle, or lock an open car by pressing the back of the door handle.

Problem.
How do you check the car is locked? If you try the door it unlocks! But this one swings the wing mirrors in when it is locked so you can tell.

The lights are automatic, as is the hand break (a small switch). The car holds itself on hills and has proximity sensors front and back. The central display tells you how close you are. It is tempting to park without looking out of the windows! The rear mirror dims as required and the windscreen wipers are probably automatic, but this is Spain and I have had no chance to find out.

But starting the cruise control took me several kilometres. Part of the problem was that the error messages for my attempts were in German. And part of the problem was the control that was behind the steering wheel and out if sight. It had 3 switches and a rolling wheel. But 2 of the switches pushed in and pulled back. Once I pulled one back it all swung into operation.

But that was not all. I puzzled over the effect of pushing the switches. It caused the central display to change and offer lots of options. I tried one. It set the cruise control to a standard speed. I quickly found I could select the road speed when it changed and the car would adapt.

And then I came up behind a lorry. I lost power. What's up I thought, but nothing was up. The display over the steering wheel showed how close I was to the vehicle in front and the cruise control adapted to stay 2 seconds behind it. I adjusted that to 2 1/2 seconds- this car made you lazy and I wanted the extra time to be sure!

It is a little alarming coming up behind things and waiting for the car to slow up at the last minute. But it does. As you pull out in the dual carriageway to overtake, it notices the clear road ahead and accelerates. Freaky.

So I arrived at the hotel. As I stopped, the car turned the engine off for me and put the hand break on. I felt miffed at having to open the door for myself.

Now it is not a "drive it for you" car yet. And the headlamps don't notice oncoming traffic and darken parts of the beam to stop glare. These things are being worked on an will be coming one day.

I have a feeling it won't be long.

Cordialement
Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment