West of the Town

Sunday 16 June 2013

Feux d'Artifice des Femmes

Fireworks to you - in celebration of Women - How French!
In fact there is a "women" theme in several places so there must be a common cause. These fireworks, timed for 11pm, marked the end of the celebration weekend in Massy. After last evening, I debated going but when I woke from a doze in good time to walk over I took the plunge. French firework displays are usually worth the effort.
As I exited my lodgings, there were people walking along the road passed the gate. I reasoned there was only one place they were going and followed them to find the shortcut to the park I had perceived there must be last evening. They turned right through a gap in the hedge that turned out to be a path, then through a tower block pathway and bridge to arrive at the footbridge over the motorway. At this point we were joined by others from other directions and we became a crowd. The anticipation was sort of exciting!
There was a band still playing as I arrived but people were also leaving the stage area and getting into position in the next field. The band abruptly stopped and I joined those in the field near small people I could see over. Quite quickly the announcer welcomed us and announced the theme. Each set piece had a "women are like" announcement, appropriate music, and a mass of accompanying fireworks.
"A woman is not born, she must become one", "Soft and timid, but then also very brave", and so on. Not always completely complementary, "logic cannot stand before her", and "what man can understand". Or are those complements?
No photos but I could have tried as at one point the whole sky was lit up for over a minute with continuous firework explosions. Oh ok, an old picture as a reminder.
From Bastille Day
And then suddenly it was all over. The music and announcements fell silent, it became dark again, and the crowd turned for home. I found the path and after the 2 factions had weaved between each other as the 2 possible directions sorted themselves out, I was once again in a crowd heading for the motorway footbridge.
At the bridge, the crowd stopped. A true M25 experience with people on foot. The cause became apparent when I reached the crash barriers that stopped the flow, particularly for pushchairs; but once passed, the bridge was less congested that it would otherwise have been, and, I suppose, much safer for it. "More fireworks" I heard a little girl on her dad's shoulders say in American. Sure enough, in the distance, another celebration weekend was ending. "Too far to get to" said her dad, and I agree. Time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment