West of the Town

Saturday 15 June 2013

Gospel Rock

The first band I decided to miss. I was not sure the name inspired me. However, I found out why the "8 dead men" were so loud, they were in fact the "8 killers". Nearly right. These went on for over 20mins over their time, and then the stage needed to be stripped. So it was very nealy 11pm before the act I came to see could start.

The venu was closer than I thought. Just 9mins walk which could explain why I could hear the bands from my room!

Capturé par mon iPhone
As usual this was a family occasion and everyone was talking so no one seemed to mind the wait. Even the dogs were quiet. I had a "mergauze American sandwich" (surely a contradiction in terms?) which I washed down with a can of Heineken, mainly because this was what was on sale from the bucket of ice!

When the Gospel band began they were "Gospel Rock" and not "Gospel Jazz" as I told some people. They were still good. The lead singer appeared to be well known to the French, but not to me. But they did sing some Gospel songs, mostly in English, including "Joshua fought the battle of Jerico", "This is the day", and "No body knows (the trouble I've seen)". They also sang "Women do get weary (wearing the same ragged dress)", which song I had never actually heard except when June sang the first few bars, either to recall the time when a brother had sung it to her (when she did have only 1 smart but old dress); or when she was fed up with her latest favourite. A fun surprise for me.

So now I am home well after midnight having had a pleasant, if rather loud, evening! And only a short walk from home.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment