West of the Town

Sunday 27 October 2013

A little tour ...

... on 2 wheels.

I have often wondered what it is like to balance on a "Sedge-way" so when I found I had the morning free in Malaga, and there were these things for hire, I took my chance.

But they were not going to let me just drive off on my own. It was an accompanied "tour" and since time was limited I  booked the 20 minute one. After a brief lesson, and the compulsory hard hat, we were off along the harbour walk.

A stop for a photo-call, with permit to remove the hat.
The contraption requires you to fall forward to go, and backward to stop (but not too long because reverse works this way too). The bar does not turn but goes left or right and has an effect even at a standstill.

After this photo, my guide increased the limit speed from 12 to 20 mph (it's American). That was a lot better as before it was like trying to go slow when skiing - much harder.

All too soon it was over. Is it costly to own one? $8000 I was told, or $5000 in the USA. There are no Chinese copies yet, but at that price it can't be long.


No comments:

Post a Comment