West of the Town

Saturday 19 October 2013

Railways

Boys like trains. I did anyway. So to use the train every day should be interesting. At the moment I am trying to work out how the hinges work on the points, but there are none in the station and the train passes the others on route far too quickly. Still it can be a harmless pass-time on the way to work.
The other day my train was cancelled. Whilst I was waiting for the alternative I noticed some loading going on. I went closer to take a look, I had always wondered how they transferred the contents of the goods trains to other places - by road it seems.
A white loader fills a red truck. And a man bangs the underside when needed!
 The train I wanted arrived silently behind me and stopped short on the platform. I turned round just in time to run and catch the first coach.
So when I needed to get the TGV (Train Grande Vitesse - fast intercity train) I made sure I was in good time. The TGV station is the other side of the station I normally use but it takes 5 minutes to walk across the bridge. Mindful of needing to be on the right coach I looked at the platform and decided I could be a long way away, so I asked someone and she at least pointed me to the correct end. In the event I was 3 coaches out, which involved a walk in the train but it could have been worse.

Wide angle view of a straight platform. It is underground and very long to take a very long train.
On the way back, there was a train guide. I chose my spot on the platform. Once aboard, the high speed train is very smooth and after the first stop (mine was the second) it smoothly came to a halt in the middle of nowhere. The driver announced a breakdown - of the train in front! We waited. "Thank you for your patience and understanding". It's a phrase I hear a lot on the trains and metros. When we did go, it was to follow the train ahead which was limping along at 60km/hr, half speed. I arrived home 90 minutes late. I am glad it was on the way back, not on the way out!

No comments:

Post a Comment