West of the Town

Monday 7 October 2013

Teeth

My visits to the dentist have not been frequent in France, so to have only 2 that need attention was possibly quite good. One needs to be pulled, the other is "delicate" and needs a plug made from a mould. Today I had my appointment for the 1st tooth.
I showed the dentist my insurance package and we agreed what it would mean for me. I have to pay something for the expensive filling. Tooth pulling is effectively free - the government pays, bless them.
So he sat me in the chair. Which do you want to do first? he asked. Hmm, I thought, get the mould done, and pull after. So I chose the mould. I was impressed that the anaesthetic took effect almost immediately. There followed nearly an hour of almost painless torture. Open wide, wider. Bite. Open again. Can I spit? No. Lots of whizzy noises, did that hurt? Have some more anaesthetic, this is taking some time to do. This plastic stuff takes 5 minutes to set, and the poor dentist's hand is in your mouth the whole time.
Hmm, I mused, feeling the tooth with my tongue. The hole is much larger now. Yes he said proudly. No improvement yet then, I thought. And then he plugged the hole temporarily. If you have hot or cold pain then call me. I will.
And the other tooth? No, not now, he said. You chose the other one. So I did. We booked an appointment for next Monday to finish this tooth.
He did not let me take photos. I was too tense anyway. So this is a photo-less blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment