West of the Town

Saturday 21 December 2013

Back to the Beginning, a Journey

So how did the journey go?

There is no direct flight from Paris to Manila, but there is from Heathrow. And the Eurostar was offering good rates for the trip on the days I wanted. So stage 1 consisted of train journeys.

It is an hour to the Eurostar by RER train from my flat and there is check in time too. So 7am for the 9:13 Eurostar. In just over 2 hours and I am in St. Pancras. A third train, the tube, takes another hour to reach Heathrow.

Now I left time for contingencies and was not sure how long the tube would be. But the trip was completely uneventful so I arrived in lots of time for the flight.

I took a French style lunch (2 hours).

Now I had obeyed and printed my boarding pass and the line for the "web check in" was empty. I joined it. The long snaking other queue moved slowly forward but I was already in!

The plane was late arriving so it was late leaving. Hundreds of people boarded for the 14 hour flight. It was hard to doze in the narrow chair but I must have managed it and 4 films later we landed on Friday afternoon at Manila.

The delays in disembarkation and baggage collection consumed another hour which was good because traffic had delayed Evangeline too. We arrived at the airport exit at about the same time.

Then a taxi ride to the bus station. The price went up when he saw me but my hostess had negotiated a firm price and he was forced to comply. The car needed a new exhaust and the leaky boot was opened by an improvised wire from the back seat. It had been raining.

I found out why Evangeline had been delayed. The Manila traffic was all but solid except that somehow it all kept creeping forward as cars found narrow spaces just big enough for them.

The bus service is frequent and our bus left almost immediately. We drove for ages on a Victory Bus before we reached the open road. 5 hours later we were at the interchange town, Olongapo. Now near midnight, local time, the busses were less frequent. Our bus left just after midnight and had standing room only.

After frequent stops we secured 2 seats from those who got off (no one got on) and just after 1am we were dropped off. Nearly there. The last stage of the trip involves a tricycle. The bags are put on a rack and the second inside along side Evangeline. I sit sideways behind the driver. The vehicle is quite slow and the driver is very careful of potholes and other obstacles. We turn a corner and stop outside some gates. Marjorie is still up to greet us.

My body clock says Friday afternoon. Every one else says it's 1:30 Saturday morning, and bedtime.

Actually I am quite tired too.

Cordialement
Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment