West of the Town

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Bar talk

Here in the hotel bar, the owner is in good spirits. They don't have Guinness so I go for the local beer. The owner adds a plate of "fried potatoes" or crisps to you and me.

Other people appear and start to prop up the bar. "Bwena" is a simple greeting I can say but not spell.

The owners starts to introduce the people to me. The young man who just emerged from the kitchen is the general manager. The large jolly man who came in is the manager of the bull ring. The owner then struggled for enough English to describe the older bearded man reading the paper at the bar. "He is. ...", "the matador?" I suggested. All except the bearded man laughed and the owner shook my hand.

I must have got it right then.

Cordialement
Terry
Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment