West of the Town

Monday 23 December 2013

Church at the seaside

So, still slightly jet lagged, we prepare for church. Within hours of my arrival, Evangeline had popped to the local market and told me "try these on. These are Philippine cloths, you'll need them". And I did, because the day heats up and even the wind is hot.

Today we are 2 visiting pastors, Evangeline (pastora), Marjorie, and myself, and there is only public transport. We hire 2 tricycles for the goods and Evangeline and I are on the back. The others walk to the bus stop.

The church location is on the beach in the next town. I look at the speedometer of my tricycle to see the speed but it shows a constant 0. I comfort myself with the observation that the green portion of the dial stops at 60 and that it is probably km/hr. We soon turn off the main road and work cautiously along rough roads and a long iron bridge.

And then the road runs out. We are greeted by an elderly lady who is the owner of this beach location and whose facilities we are borrowing. She is really happy to see us and keeps introducing me to her grandchildren, and telling me her family history, despite her difficulty with English. "Pastora is my best friend", she tells me. And at the end of the long day she was still smiling, "it's been a good day" she declares.

More on the church later. For now, enjoy the photos.

Cordialement
Terry

Envoyé de mon iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment